Share

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Happy V-day with "Healthy" Strawberry and Banana Muffins

Happy Valentine's Day!  I definitely don't believe that we need a holiday to show the people we care about how special they are...but, the day is a good excuse to make cute heart shaped goodies.

I happen to think that one of the best features of the muffin is its consistency.  And sometimes, you just want to sink your teeth into that warm soft cake in all of its carbolicious glory.  He won't admit to it, but I know Cy has those moments too.  So as a compromise, I tried to make a "healthier" version so that Cy can indulge too...and I can enjoy them with less guilt ;)




"Healthy" Strawberry Banana Muffins

Ingredients:

2........eggs
1/4c...unsweetened applesauce
1/2c...plain yogurt
2tbsp..honey
1tsp....vanilla extract
2-3.....bananas (mashed)
1c......almond meal
1/2c...whole wheat flour
1/2c...oats
1tsp...baking soda
1tbsp..ground cinnamon
1c.......fresh strawberries (chopped)

Recipe:

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 cup muffin tin with liners.

2) In a large bowl, mix together all wet ingredients (eggs, applesauce, yogurt, honey vanilla, and bananas).

3) In another bowl, mix together dry ingredients (almond meal, whole wheat flour, oats, baking soda, and cinnamon).

4) Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  It's important not to overmix since we are using some wheat flour - this is the secret to fluffy muffins! 

5) Stir in the strawberries, and fill the muffin liners evenly with the batter. 

6) Bake for about 20min or until the muffin tops spring back when pressed lightly.  Let muffins cool and 
    ENJOY!

*I decorated mine with strawberry slices cut out to look like a heart ;)
*Also, this is another very versatile recipe.  If you don't have almond meal, feel free to use all wheat flour.  Or you can even add maybe a 1/4c of flax seeds instead of oats for some extra fiber.








5 comments:

  1. Oooo maybe a Chia seed addition would give another extra boost of healthy goodness too? I am into Chia seeds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure chia seeds would work too -although does it get gelatin-like? You'll have to let me know if you try. I use a protein powder with chia seeds in my breakfast smoothies!

      Delete
  2. Made this as a sheet "cake" this weekend and it was super moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried to make this as a sheet cake before so I'm glad it worked out for you! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this post. Your comments inspire and motivate me so please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP