Share

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tofu Dessert Part 1: Wannabe Meyer Lemon Cheesecake

This is an incredibly easy dessert you can pretty much whip up in no time.  Although I've titled it as a Cheesecake, let me just tell you ahead of time that it's better to think of this as something more like a Cheesecake flavored custard or Blanc Mange.  Whatever you call it, I love it.


And no, it's no true cheesecake, but it's really amazing how you can achieve that sort of flavor out of four simple ingredients unrelated to dairy.  Just tofu, miso, lemon, and honey....yes that's right, miso.  The combinations of tofu and miso actually give that cheesy sort of flavor and no, you won't taste the miso. I understand that the sound of these ingredients in a dessert may turn some people off, but to those people I have to say, please give it a chance!  

Even if you don't consider this a cheesecake, I think that as a standalone dessert, this is really quite delicious. With a silky mouthfeel, and refreshing flavor, it's a perfect light end to a meal.

You can use a regular lemon, but I have a bunch of these beautiful Meyer lemons from the farmer's market to go through, so I incorporated them into the recipe.


Now on to the recipe...



Lemon Tofu "Cheesecake"

Ingredients:
Serves 2-4

1package of Silken Tofu (soft of extra soft)
2Tbsp of White Miso (preferably Saikyo Miso)
2Tbsp of Lemon juice (I just squeezed one whole lemon)
2-3Tbsp of Honey (or Maple Syrup)

Directions:

1) Drain Tofu on a paper towel.  (It's best to leave it for about 20min)

2) Mix all ingredients in a food processor until creamy.

3) Fill small cups with the batter, decorate with some toppings and leave in the fridge for at least an hour...then Enjoy!

**I topped mine with some fruit, but I imagine that a little bit of honey, or jam would go well with this also.
** I don't think that the taste is too tofu-like.  But if you do, and you don't have a problem with using cheese, you could cheat and add a Tablespoon or two of cream cheese to the mix to up the "cheesecake" factor ;)

1 comment:

  1. My Thoughts are StarsMarch 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM

    Those meyer lemons look perfect! Wannabe cheesecake, you are OG.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this post. Your comments inspire and motivate me so please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP