Share

Monday, May 13, 2013

{A Happy Mother's Day} Double Strawberry Basil Tart


I hope everyone had a nice Mother's day! As I become older and finding myself having to juggle more things, I realize more and more how amazing my Mom really is.  To successfully take care of her career, her home and the family is no small feat, and I can only hope to be as strong and productive some day.

 There are many amazing brunch places out here in Los Angeles, but Cy and I decided to cook brunch for my parents this year to show our appreciation - including this Double Strawberry & Basil tart that turned out amazingly well :) I made it because I really love the Double Blueberry tart recipe, and figured if it works for blueberries it must work for strawberries as well.

I made a strawberry & basil jam to spread on the bottom of the tart and simply topped it with fresh strawberries and basil - served with some vanilla creme fraiche, it's springtime in your mouth.







{Strawberry & Basil Jam}
from Punk Domestics

Ingredients:
(Makes about 4cups of Jam)

2lbs strawberries
1/4cup lime juice
1/4cup water
1/8cup chopped basil
less than 1/2 cup light brown cane sugar (or sugar alternative)
1tbsp of lime zest

Directions:

1. Hull and chop strawberries into small pieces.
2.  In a pot, combine strawberries, lime juice, water and sugar and heat until sugar dissolves.
3.  Once it begins to boil, add basil and zest and cook on high heat until it reaches the consistency you like (approx 5 min.)
4.  Place in container and let it cool.

{Double Strawberry & Basil Tart}

Ingredients:

Tart Crust - I have a gluten free recipe HERE
                   or a whole wheat version HERE 
                   or you can use readymade if you're pressed for time)
Strawberry & Basil Jam
1cup of strawberries, sliced thinly
1-2tbsp of chopped basil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450F

1.  Bake tart crust for approximate 12min ur until browned. Let cool.
2.  Spread the jam over the bottom.
3.  Arrange strawberry slices on top, sprinkle chopped basil and enjoy!







3 comments:

  1. Yay healthy goodness for Mom and Dad! Vitamins a-plenty for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this post. Your comments inspire and motivate me so please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP