Share

Friday, May 4, 2012

Cabbage Spring Rolls

I must be on a spring roll kick, because I didn't even realize this recipe was actually a spring roll until I had made it.  I just happened to choose this recipe because I had the ingredients on hand and because it looked easy, healthy and delicious - perfect for Cy & I, and perfect for this blog.


I feel as if Cabbage may have a reputation for being a little bit on the boring side of the vegetable world, when in fact it's one of the most versatile and healthiest foods you can eat.  With not only your usual set of vitamins, Cabbage is also high in cancer-fighting anti-oxidants like polyphenol, and glucosinolates that can help keep your digestive tract in good order.  Not only that but, Cabbage has a special cholesterol-lowering effect on your body.  Scientists already know the exact mechanism of how this happens(you can read more about it HERE), and more recently, it has been discovered that this cholesterol-lowering effect is especially high when cabbage is steamed...which is exactly what we will be doing in this recipe.




Cabbage Spring Rolls


Ingredients:
served 2-3

4 large leaves of Cabbage
1/2 block of tofu (drained)
1/2lb ground chicken
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tbsp chopped garlic
salt & pepper



 Directions:

1) Cook the leaves of Cabbage in salted, boiled water for a few minutes so that the leaves become a little softer.

2) Blend tofu, ground chicken, ginger, garlic, some salt & pepper in a food processor until smooth.

3) Lay out a piece of Cabbage, fill the middle area with some of the filling. Roll into a skinny long log. Repeat with other pieces.

4) Steam cook for approximately 7 min. When cool enough to handle, slice into pieces and serve with some dipping sauce.  ( I just mixed some Ketchup and diced tomatoes with some lemon juice, but I think it would be great with some Soy sauce also).

*I didn't do it this time around, but I think it would also be great to add some pieces of cooked shrimp and scallops in filling for some more texture.


1 comment:

  1. I love cabbage! Cabbage is very under-rated, so is lettuce actually. Cooked cabbage and lettuce are so delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this post. Your comments inspire and motivate me so please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP