Share

Friday, May 11, 2012

Rhubarb Apple & Coconut Crisp


I've been seeing Rhubarb in the markets lately and I couldn't help but reach for some...their bright color feels like the epitome of springtime, and I've always wanted to try making something with them.  I had to do a little bit of research since I had never tasted rhubarb before, and to be honest, I was a little bit nervous about the fact that many of the recipes seemed to use a lot of sugar in order to try to offset the tartness of the rhubarb.


In the end, I decided to try out a simple Crisp.  Mixing it up with some apples allowed me to use a minimal amount of sweetner, and I tried to increase the nutritional value of the "crisp" portion by using coconut oil and shredded coconuts along with some almond flour.  The result was the perfect sweet/tart combination...It made for a delicious breakfast this morning with a little yogurt on the side ;)



Rhubarb Apple & Coconut Crisp

Ingredients:
Fills 4 small ramekins

Filling:
2-3 large stalks Rhubarb
1 Apple ( I used Fuji for this)
4tbsp Honey
1tsp Cinnamon
pinch of Salt

Crisp:
1cup Almond Meal
3/4cup Wheat flour
1/4tsp grated nutmeg
1/4cup nuts (I used almonds, but any kind will work)
1/4cup coconut oil
1/4cup honey
1tbsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt


Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350F.  Chop rhubarb and apple into small pieces.  Mix together with Honey, Cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Separate evenly in 4 small ramekins.

2) Mix together Almond meal, wheat flour, nuts, salt, and nutmeg in a separate bowl.

3) Melt coconut oil (about 10sec in microwave) and mix with the honey and vanilla extract.  Add to the bowl with the flour and mix until clumps form.

4) Sprinkle the crisp over the filling in each of the ramekins and bake in the oven for about 30-40min, or until brown and crispy and bubbling.  Let cool and enjoy :)





3 comments:

  1. Very nice. The coconut looks so fluffy and light. What a perfect dish for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing. I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this post. Your comments inspire and motivate me so please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP