Share

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fava Bean Spring Rolls

First of all I just wanted to send out a big Thank you to the friends and readers out there who keep me motivated to continue working on this blog.  I know that I've really only just begun and that this blog is still in its baby stages, but there are definitely times when work and life catches up to me and I find it hard to find the time post.  But then I am reminded of how much I enjoy it - and it's all thanks to the people I ♥ :)


For some reason, Fava beans make me very happy.  They have this chubby, rounded look about them that somehow reminds me of sunny skies, and childhood days.  In Japanese they are called "Sora-mame" which literally means "Sky beans".  Doesn't that just sound happy?


But like most good things in life, they do take a little bit of time to prep.  The beans are enclosed in a thick pod, but once you take them out, you must boil them a bit to peel off the second skin surrounding each bean.  A little bit time consuming, but definitely worth the extra effort.  They are chock full of Vitamin A, B1 and B2.  A wonderful source of energy when you're feeling a little bit down.


This recipe comes from a vegetarian cookbook called Refresh by a former Japanese model. I usually try to stay away from fried foods, but this Spring roll recipe came out amazingly light and clean tasting.  Too often spring rolls are dipped in heavy sauces and filled with even heavier filling.  But this one is simple, with only salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon, it really let's the flavor of the ingredients shine through.  





Fava Bean Spring Rolls
Makes approximately 7-8rolls

3/4lbs Fava Beans
1/2 an onion (chopped)
1lb Cooked Shrimp
7-8 Spring Roll skins
salt&pepper
Lemon

Directions:

1) Take beans out of Fava bean pods.  Boil for approximately 3-5min.  Drain and once cool enough to handle, peel off second skin.

2) Chop cooked shrimp into bite-size pieces.

3) Take one sheet of Spring roll skin and spread out onto workspace.  Lay some onions, shrimp and beans into the middle area in a horizontal line.  Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.  Wet the edges of the skin, and fold like a burrito to form the spring roll shape.

4) Heat some oil (I used canola) in a pan and fry the spring rolls on each side for approximately 2-3min or until well browned.

5) Let it dry off on some paper towels and enjoy with a squeeze of lemon!



1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize fava beans were soramame! They do make me smile. They're like happy magical beans!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by this post. Your comments inspire and motivate me so please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP